- About us
Project Assistant ECHO
Shelter Centre is a non-governmental organisation registered in Switzerland, which supports the sector of humanitarian operations that responds to the transitional settlement and reconstruction needs of populations affected by conflicts and national disasters, from the emergency phase until durable solutions are reached.
Shelter Centre is looking to fill three entry-level positions that support the Project Leader with different tasks related to the Regional Humanitarian Shelter Resource Hub funded through an ECHO grant. The pilot project in south-east Asia involves the development of a common regional learning platform that offers accredited franchised technical training. These trainings will support all relevant stakeholders in improving quality and effectiveness of disaster preparedness, response and recovery. The internship is for at least three months with a possible extension and is reimbursed with limited funding.
Shelter Centre has been contracted by donor organisations, including DFID, ECHO and IOM, to produce guidance on the humanitarian reform process and the coordination mechanisms, which are established following natural disasters. The intern will function as a Project Assistant (PA) and has the opportunity to be part of a team creating and managing the development of practical tools (shelter development, technical content and training) that directly impact the way in which humanitarian shelter responses are coordinated.
Responsibilities will include:
- Provide technical input
- Assist in development of training curriculum and materials for trainers and participants
- Correspond with implementing partners
- Assist in the development of publicity materials to promote the project update and maintain the project page on the website – previous experience not necessary, skills can be taught
- Draft and finalize narrative reports to ECHO
- Available to perform other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director within reasonable expectations of the role.
- University degree in social sciences or equivalent in a relevant discipline
- Able to grasp difficult concepts and create visual representation
- Excellent written English skills with proven record
- Motivated team player and strong interest in humanitarian work
- Adaptable and flexible to undertake various and urgent tasks
- Excellent IT skills including MS Powerpoint, familiarity with Adobe design suite an advantage.
After their internship at Shelter Centre, many project assistants have gone on to work for humanitarian agencies, including Care, Cordaid, DFID, IOM, Oxfam and UNHCR.
Job Duration:3 months
Please send your CV and a letter of motivation to email@example.com. Please mention the post “Project Assistant ECHO internship” in the subject of your email. The deadline for receiving application is 3rd March 2011.